Saturday 1 March 2014

PRODUCT REVIEW: Michael Kors Large Hamilton Saffiano Tote

Since buying my black Saffiano Selma bag back in September (read review here) I've fallen more in love with Michael Kors. The quality of my Selma influenced my decision in buying this Lime Green Saffiano Leather Hamilton bag back in December. As with my other reviews I decided to leave it for a couple of months before writing a review.

If you're looking for a large, good quality designer bag... then this is the bag for you. It fits in all my daily essentials and so much more. I tend to wear it to work, often putting my heels in it so I can commute to work in my comfortable ballet pumps. It's so large even with my shoes inside I don't think I've ever filled it up completely. 

Measurements - Height 13", Width 14" and Depth 6.25"

As seen in my previous blog post 'Houndstooth aka Dogtooth' 

As I already have a black MK bag, I decided to go for something completely different. So when I saw this lime green bag on display I just new this was the one for me. I tend to wear a lot of monochrome and thought that the bag would add a much needed injection of colour. I find myself receiving compliments wherever I go when I wear this bag... it's definitely a head turner - it's so bold. 

 
I got this bag during the Boxing Day Sales, so unfortunately this colour is no longer on sale. However, MK have plenty of other colours in this style for you to chose from. I particularly like the Navy and the Tan, as they'll go with just about anything - though I definitely suggest visiting your local store because they usual have a good range to chose from and they look much nicer than on screen. 

 
The Hamilton bag is quite simple but very elegant in design, not too much is going on; It's classic. The bag has fixtures and fittings in gold (also available in silver), and a chunky gold lock embossed with the brands name. I particularly like the gold chain detail attached to the long strap, I think it makes the bag look a little more interesting. Due to the size of the bag I'd say it is more for everyday wear than occasional wear, as I prefer to wear smaller bags on special occasions. 
 

  As seen in my previous blog post 'The Checked Scarf'

The bag has two handles and a shoulder strap with chain detail. Unfortunately, the shoulder strap can't be removed or adjusted. The Bag also comes with a embossed lock and key, removing the lock allows for the belt of the bag to be adjusted, allowing the opening of the bag to be widened for easy access and to fit more in.  
  The exterior of the Hamilton bag is made of Saffiano leather, a material used by Prada, Aspinal of London, Coach, DKNY and other big brands.

Saffiano leather is grained leather that has been tanned. The rough cross hatch on the leather makes it fairly resistant to scratches and keeps it looking new for a long time. I've also realised that this type of leather copes better with the elements than other types of leather, especially in wet conditions.
  Inside the Hamilton

Saffiano leather is a lot harder than other types of leather (often said to remind people of plastic) - given its shape I think that this is the perfect material for the Hamilton bag. I've noticed that the soft leather Hamilton bags don't hold their shape as well and age more quickly.

The base of the Hamilton

The inside of the bag comprises of a shiny cream MK monogram lining, 4 small compartments and 1 medium sized zip compartment. Each of the small compartments are big enough to fit most mobile phones, card holders and similar sized items.

Overall I think that the bag is worth every penny. I'd definitely recommend buying it over other types of leather bags - it's good quality and will last for many years to come. To preserve the bag, I'd recommend when not in use storing it in the dust bag provided. I'd also advise should you opt for a lighter colour like I did, asking the sales assistant for a protector for it, just to avoid the possibility of colour transfer. 

Photography - Gerrod Charles


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig